I’ve been writing an ebook “Time Management for Busy Parents”, it’s not finished yet; I just can’t seem to find the time to get round to it…. Perhaps that has something to do with the fact that I keep taking on new things. There is no doubt about it, the life of a parent is full of stuff – kid’s stuff, mum’s stuff, dad’s stuff, work stuff, housework stuff, taxi-ing stuff etc. etc. etc. Now I’m going to tell you straight, we all have the same number of hours in the day and I’m not going to be showing you a way to create a 25 hour day…. and I don’t think I’d want it anyway…. I’m pooped by bedtime However, it’s also true that some people are much more effective with the time they have than others. So here are my top 7 tips for making the most of your time:
- Don’t take on things you don’t need to do….. darn #fail, I hardly think NaBloPoMo constitutes a necessary distraction…. hey ho. But fun is necessary too, and so far it’s fun…. hmmm will it still be fun on the 30th November?
- Write a list. This is the absolute Holy Grail of effective people. Most will have structure to their list too…. it will at the very least be prioritised…. essential things to do, responses to send, do it if I have time…. you get the idea…. if things stick around in the “do it if I have time” category for longer than a few days, scrub them, they’re just not important enough to make the list!
- Remove distractions – so, don’t open email, twitter, FaceBook, (insert any other SM addiction), until you’ve done the essential things on your list.
- Keep away from the TV (#fail I found myself (somehow, have no idea how it happened) watching The Hotel Inspector last night at 11.30…. (note to self: get real, get a grip, stop watching crap))
- When you find yourself with a bit of extra time (ha), plan and write ahead.
- Use your blogging platform to store up ideas – every time I have a brilliant idea – or even a mediocre one I jot it down as a new post and save it as a draft…… sometimes I write a note or add a link to remind myself of what I was thinking at the time, then I come back to them later and wonder what on earth made me think it was a good idea or, occasionally follow it through and complete the article.
- Early to bed, early to rise….. ha, ha, ha!
Oh and do keep checking back if you’re interested… one day soon you’ll find a link here to the time management ebook – I’ll let you know right now though, it ain’t going to appear in November
Earlier I posted a pic of me with my list. And if anyone knows how I can get rid of the half pic which has ended up in the header of that post, please let me know…. I clicked “use as featured image” when I uploaded it and there doesn’t seem to be an option to undo it…. at least it’s only on this post, AND I know what that feature does now….. and so do you ;-)